About Forest School
We are developing a Forest School within our school grounds to give children the unique opportunity of experiencing first hand, play and learning in a controlled outdoor environment.
Forest School is the name for an approach to educating children in the outdoors on a regular basis. This work will support the main curriculum and will have emphasis on raising children’s self-esteem, independence and confidence.
Learners are entitled to experience appropriate risk and challenge. They are also entitled to initiate and drive their own learning and development.
We believe everyone should:
- Have regular access to a natural environment
- Have a safe environment to succeed, create, use and apply skills
- Learn through self-directed play and exploration
- Develop their curiosity, self-esteem and creativity
- Develop a knowledge of the natural environment and ability to assess risk
- Have an opportunity to understand and respect the natural world around them
Our main objectives are to produce confident and capable children who:
- Are independent and resourceful
- Are happy and care for each other
- Do lots of outdoor physical activity
- Are gaining confidence and improving their practical skills
- Have good ideas and like to find out new things
- Can make choices and take responsibility
- Know when it is safe to take risks
- Understands, take care of and appreciates the natural environment
Click here to access our Forest School Handbook
Click here to access the Forest School Risk Assessment